What is Lymphatic Drainage
Lymph Drainage massage (also called Lymphatic Drainage) is a form of fairly light massage, which involves very gentle, repetitive and soothing movement of the skin, to stimulate the lymphatic vessels. It has been developed and proven to promote the functioning and drainage of the lymphatic system, the body’s own detoxification process.
This treatment encourages the lymphatic system to naturally detoxify the body, rebalance fluids and promote the removal and elimination of waste products and dead cells. It is used as an effective therapy for treating and managing both Primary and Secondary Lymphedema (ie. fluid retention). It can also be beneficial for people with Lip oedema and conditions associated with poor circulation.
Why your Lymphatic system needs help
The lymph system is a slow-moving, system of vessels and lymph nodes that is supplementary to the body’s system of blood circulation. The lymph system both delivers nutrients to the cells and carries away excess water, cellular waste, bacteria, viruses and toxins. The lymphatic system is located directly beneath the skin. It can be used as part of a facial, or as a whole body treatment. When our lymphatic system is stimulated by massage, toxins are eliminated so our body works more efficiently, the immune system is boosted, and cells are supplied more readily with nutrients.
Benefits of having Lymphatic Drainage Treatments
- Aids recovery and healing when used pre and post-operative to surgery for (eg. cosmetic, general or orthopaedic procedures).
- Aids recovery post trauma (eg. falls and injuries involving torn ligaments, bruising, swelling and muscle strain).
- Helps manage (and can reduce) symptoms of long term, chronic conditions incl: fibromyalgia, sinusitis, chronic pain, rheumatoid arthritis)
- Helps reduce swelling and fluid retention (eg. swollen ankles, swollen legs and breasts – during pregnancy or cortisone therapy).
- Promotes healing of bruises, scars, wounds and burns and generally enhances skin condition (ie. may reduce the appearance of stretch marks and cellulite).
- Aids in muscle renewal, stimulates, recovery and repair post training or in preparation for a sporting event.
- Can improve sleep and promote relaxation.
*If you are receiving active treatment for cancer or have a history of cancer / tumours we may require your doctor’s consent and guidance prior to planning your sessions
“When a flower doesn’t bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower”
– Alexander Van Heijer
GET IN TOUCH
Schedule An Appointment
Holistic Healing Cape Town would love to hear from you.