“Touching hands are…like flashlights in a darkened room. The medicine they administer is self-awareness. And for many of our painful conditions, this is the aid most urgently needed”. – Deane Juhan
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage involves rubbing and putting pressure on muscles, connective tissues, tendons and ligaments. When massage is used to improve someone’s health, it is known as massage therapy.
It can reduce stress and anxiety, help with pain, relax the muscles and rehabilitate injuries.
People are increasingly getting massage therapy to help them cope with illnesses like cancer, heart disease or chronic pain.
What type of Massage do we offer at Holistic Healing?
- Effleurage: smooth, gliding strokes to relax soft tissue
- Petrissage: squeezing, rolling, or kneading
- Friction: deep, circular movements to increase blood flow and break down scar tissue
- Tapotement: tapping with cupped hands, fingers, or the edge of the hand
We combine the Swedish massage with either:
- Aromatherapy – Aromatherapy is one of the most effective means to relax and balance your inner self. It helps to clear your mind and make space for new ideas and positive thoughts. Aromatherapy is an amazing combination of essential oils used to promote a relaxing massage. The pleasant scents of aroma oils, carefully combined, have a wonderful rejuvenating effect.
2. Basalt Hot Stones – We strategically place smooth stones (basalt river stones) to relax the client and increase therapeutic benefits. We not only place the stones in strategic locations around the body but also incorporate them into the massage. We can even alternate hot and cold stones.
It has been touted for a number of health benefits. The stones can relax muscles to the point that the client can enjoy the benefits of deep tissue massage without as much pressure. Heated stones may also enhance circulation.
What are the benefits of Massage?
Holistic massage benefits the mind, body and spirit. Massage relaxes taut muscles, aids lymphatic drainage, releases toxins and benefits the “whole” in many other positive ways. Physical and emotional stress can be reduced through therapeutic touch and a myriad of other restrictive problems can also be alleviated.
Daily life impacts on our body in many ways. Although we can easily become tired, stressed, anxious and exhausted, we seldom create the space to explore the therapeutic form of beneficial relaxation.
Massage can create instant improvement in the quality of sleep and concentration, improve circulation and waste removal and encourage deeper, more relaxed breathing.
What does a Massage treatment involve?
Before you go for a massage, make sure you drink plenty of water and don’t eat too soon before the massage. Try to give yourself plenty of time to get to the appointment so it’s easier for you to relax.
Your massage therapist will talk to you about your health history and any problems you are experiencing. Make sure you tell them about any conditions you have or medicines you are taking.
The therapist will leave the room while you undress – keeping your underwear on – and you will lie down on the massage table. They will knock before they come back in. You will be covered with a towel during the massage, and music will be played to help you relax. We use a carrier of coconut or grape seed oil mixed with a blend of pure essential oils, to permit your muscles to be worked on without causing excessive friction to the skin. If you are allergic or prefer unscented, we have other options available.
It is important to tell your therapist if you feel sore or uncomfortable at any time during the massage. As professionals we will never expose your breasts, genitals or other areas you ask to keep covered.
Skype and/or Whatsapp Consultations are available for Coaching and Hypnotherapy. We also offer Reiki Distance Healing (for International clients and those not based in Cape Town.We can provide a virtual Health Scan (if we have a nail/hair DNA sample or photo of the person or animal) Your wellbeing journey begins here! Get Started